Kick scooters are favorite among children and teenagers as a source of fun and exciting outdoor experience and a budget-friendly transport for going to school and other places. These are popular among children and adults as a convenient vehicle for going to nearby places.
You will see kick scooters roaming on roads, tracks, and other places. But can you ride a kick scooter on the sidewalk? Yeah, this is definitely a serious question, as you would not want to get caught for breaking any rules.
In this article, you will get to know all the guidelines for riding your kick scooter safely on the road and the laws regarding riding them on sidewalks.
Riding Kick Scooters on the Sidewalks Or Pavements — Is It Legal?
If you ask — what is a kick scooter? The general definition can describe it as a 3-wheeler or 4-wheeler street vehicle which generally runs by human power or electricity.
But they can create many unwanted situations, including small accidents that might cause minor or serious injuries to any passer-by walking on the sidewalk.
So, is it legal to ride a kick scooter on the sidewalk? The answer could be both “yes” and “no” because no one, including the law, can provide clear information regarding this. But they are not allowed on highways and other streets where vehicles run at high speed.
There are definitely some laws enforced about kick scooters for ensuring safety whether riding on the road or sidewalks. But there are strict rules in some countries and states, and even it is not allowed to use a kick scooter.
Laws Concerning Kick Scooters Riding on Sidewalk
Different countries have various rules and regulations about kick scooters, whether for streets or sidewalks. But some of them are kept just as a law, those were never applied properly, and this might be the reason that the public is often confused about if they should maintain them or not.
As each country has unique laws about this issue, we will be discussing the major ones that are mainly applied in the US to have a pretty good understanding of these laws.
National Laws of the US
Scooters are now very popular in the US among people of all ages. Nowadays, people are becoming more conscious about saving our environment. These kick scooters play a vital role in this as they don’t pollute the air and other environment elements.
It is legal to ride kick scooters on the road, but on sidewalks, many rules differ from state to state. Here, we will discuss some common laws of the US.
can you ride a kick scooter on the sidewalk in nyc?
- 10 states of the US have banned riding kick scooters on the sidewalks, but they are sometimes allowed in other states. But it is always a better option to check on the local regulations of the vehicle department in each state.
- Two states of the US, including Pennsylvania and Delaware, have very strict restrictions about kick scooters, and they banned kick scooters from riding on both roads and sidewalks.
- As sidewalks are mainly for pedestrians, you should prioritize them and not interfere in their regular movements while riding on sidewalks.
- Often electric scooters are considered electric vehicles and need a license for use. Someone having a valid license and aged a minimum of 16 years can ride them on sidewalks lawfully.
- You can’t ride your kick scooter over 15mph to 20mph on sidewalks. But there are some states where the speed limit is below this. In Colorado, you can’t ride on sidewalks over 6 mph speed. The power output of electric scooters must be within 750W, and the weight should not exceed 100lbs.
- Kick scooter riders under 18 years must wear helmets on sidewalks. But it is better to wear helmets even if you are over 18 years so that you never experience any major injuries.
- Among all the states, the District of Columbia and Florida give freedom to the kick scooters and the riders as they are not considered motor vehicles.
You can use those without a license but can’t ride them on sidewalks. Besides, using headphones while riding kick scooters is prohibited.
- Some states of the US allow kick scooters in sidewalks and bike lanes. In Idaho, they are considered as bikes, and sometimes the law there doesn’t apply any compulsory rules regarding a license and helmets.
Best Kick Scooters for Kids and Adults
If you have not yet decided which kick scooter you should buy, we have here got some really good options for you to choose from. For buying the best one, you should definitely go through the specifications of these kick scooters and add them to your bucket list so that you can get yourself the perfect piece.
Nothing can beat this large-wheeled, easy-to-operate kick scooter, which will provide you a fast and smooth ride, ensuring complete safety. Because of these large wheels, it provides you more stability than other kick scooters out there.
- Solid constructed body with aluminum-made frame and polyurethane-made large wheels
- Lightweight body and easy folding feature make it a portable piece
- Because of the adjustable height, both kids and adults can use it
- The strong and sturdy deck can support weight up to 220 pounds
- Rear-fender brake system ensures convenient braking by preventing motion inertia
If you are looking for a high-quality kick scooter with all the necessary features which will easily fit in your budget, then this is the one you should go for. It has a spacious deck so that you can put your feet comfortably while riding on it.
- Adjustable height and handlebar
- Easy folding for compact storage
- ABEC-7 bearings of the wheels ensure durability and better performance
- Handle is covered with soft foam for providing comfort
- Can hold up to 176 pounds weight
Last but not least, we have another game-changer in the world of kick scooters. The Razor air kick scooter is mostly known for being the quietest scooter because of having an anti-rattle system. The disturbing noise of running scooters will be gone forever with this one.
- Aluminum-made scooter frame ensures a sturdy and solid construction
- Adjustable handlebars have rubber grips for giving you the ultimate comfort
- Shock absorbing rubber tires are perfect for a faster and smoother ride
- Goes easy on tough urban surfaces
- Spacious deck allows you to keep your feet more comfortable
Should you ride your electric scooter on the sidewalk?
Even if you are going for school or work riding on your kick scooter, it always gives the feeling of a fun outdoor activity. But you should always be careful about the rules and regulations regarding kick scooters. So, can you ride a kick scooter on the sidewalk? I hope this article helped and you have got the answer.