When it comes to energy-efficient and alternative fuelled transport medium, electric bikes and electric skateboards are one of the popular choices for recreational and commuting use.
Although both of these are electric, there are still differences between them, which make them ideal transports for different riding purposes. If you are to compare electric skateboard vs electric bike and want to go for one, you need to also consider your riding requirements, style, and preferences.
This article will provide you with in-depth information and compare these two e-transports to assist you in making an informed purchase.
Comparison Between Electric Skateboard and Electric Bike
An electric skateboard is a personal transporter based on a skateboard. The speed is usually controlled by a wireless hand-held remote. The rider can also use his/her bodyweight – shifting between the front of the board for forwarding motion and the rear for breaking.
An electric bike is an electric bicycle with an integrated electric motor used to assist propulsion. These bikes allow the rider to ride in both ways – pedaling and using the electric motor. Similar to electric skateboards, electric bikes also use rechargeable batteries.
Bike Type-Kids Bike
Bike Type-Folding Bike
Bike Type-Electric Bike
Bike Type-Electric Bike
Bike Type-Electric Bike
You can travel from 18 to 28 mph (29-45 km/h) on average using an electric skateboard. The top speed differs from model to model and is determined by various factors, like motor power, rider’s weight, terrain, and even wheel size.
On the other hand, your speed will be slower than electric skateboards if you use an electric bike. These bikes have an average speed of 7 to 16 mph.
Li-ion batteries are the most frequently used batteries for electric skateboards. Regularly using the bike and taking good care of the battery can make the battery last up to 3 years.
If you buy an electric bike, you will find that most electric bikes use lithium batteries that not only recharge quickly but also last longer. If maintained well, you can expect up to 5 years of service life from the battery.
Usually, electric skateboards last for a few years. You can easily ride hundreds of miles. If the skateboard is maintained well, you can even hit up to a thousand-mile milestone, depending on how frequently you use it for riding.
However, you will need to change the wheels and the battery of the skateboard periodically as they become unusable after a certain period of time using on a regular basis.
Normally, electric bikes can last for 10 years, even up to a decade, depending on what type of bike you purchase and how you use it. If you ride your bike for transportation on a daily basis, it’s important to replace components like the motor and chain every year or so if they break down once or twice.
Electric Skateboard VS Bike – Pros and Cons
In their respective fields of application, these two modes of transport have the upper hand over one another. This section will give you a clear understanding of which one is the best for what purposes.
Advantages of Electric Skateboard
- Electric skateboards are very nimble. If there is traffic, you can easily squeeze in between vehicles, which you can’t normally do with other similar small mediums of transport.
- There is no need to lock an electric skateboard as you can easily pick it up and carry it with you. Some backpacks come with a separate pouch for carrying a skateboard.
- You can easily use an electric skateboard anytime, especially during rush hours, as it doesn’t require anything extra to operate like other vehicles.
- There is a very low chance of your electric skateboard getting stolen as it always stays with you.
Disadvantages of Electric Skateboard
- Riding an electric skateboard is way more dangerous than riding on any other similar ride unless you are an experienced skateboard rider.
- Even if you are riding slowly and defensively, you may not be able to break or change your direction if something just happens or a car suddenly comes in front of you.
- You may not be able to ride your electric skateboard all the time, especially during rainy weather when the pavement is wet. It is very hard to break during the winter and rainy seasons.
- You won’t be allowed to carry your skateboard in some places. Like, when you go to any mall, restaurant, or any other public place where you may be declined from entering, or they will take your skateboard at the front desk and keep it for you, which is not always convenient.
- You cannot store things or carry things on your skateboards like you can on other vehicles.
Advantages of Electric Bike
- As there are gears for speed, you can control the speed easily. The handle makes changing direction and breaking easier as well. As a result, there are few chances of accidents. You also don’t have to be an experienced rider to use the bike on roads.
- Riding a bike is healthy for your physical well-being. You may take advantage of the numerous benefits of intensive cycling to help you achieve your fitness objectives. Riding a bike on a regular basis keeps your body fit and disease-free.
- Even if the battery or the motor of an electric bike dies, you can still ride the bike manually through pedaling.
- You can use your bike in any type of weather, which makes it convenient for you to travel during rain or any other time.
Disadvantages of Electric Bike
- Electric bikes are slower than most other electric vehicles, which may be inconvenient for times when you need to go anywhere faster.
- You need to always lock your bike after parking, which can be a hassle because you may not always find a suitable place to keep your bike safe.
- Electric bike motors are costly. As a result, if you don’t keep your bike in a safe location, critical parts from it may be snatched without much effort.
Thus, electric skateboard vs. electric bike, which is better, depends on your preferences and convenience. Both electric skateboards and bikes are great means of transportation. These are eco-friendly, which is not only safe for you but also safe for your environment.
As these are cheap alternatives for fast and almost effortless travels, you might be attracted to these and consider buying them, which is usual.
So, I hope by reading this article, you have now decided which one would serve your purposes the most.